The goal of the project was to create a product of your choice using Rhino 6 and Keyshot that had a notable number of parts within it. The renderings needed to be high-fidelity and include small details such as screws. The final deliverables included HD renders and an animation.
I have a huge interest in video games and the game industry and I wanted to think of something new within that field. I didn't want to do something basic or something that already existed. My initial idea was a high-end gaming chair, but I felt it was overdone and scrapped it. Then I thought of a game controller, but I couldn't think of a way to make it unique since what I was thinking about (adding extra buttons / interchangeable parts) is already a real concept.
I finally settled on a game disc storage box. The key was that it could load and unload games from the console. Then, I started to think about how it would work and what would be the most realistic way to approach the task. Above on the right is the first iteration of how I believed this machine would function, but as I started building it in Rhino, I realized that the hands grabbing and moving the disc weren't realistic at all. This was the most difficult part of the project, but I knew that once I passed that hurdle, the rest would come easy.
My original concept involved two elevators on two pulley systems that held a sliding cart with a hand. This idea quickly got complex, messy, and unrealistic. While researching for a way to simplify this, I thought of how real jukeboxes worked. This, along with inspiration from record players, lead me to my final design which only involved one arm that swings the same way the arm of a record player does. With the help of a raspberry pi, two servos, and some cogs, I came to the conclusion that this was a much more feasible concept.